What is The Difference Between Local and Long Distance Moving?
A local move can be defined as moving within the same city and usually occur within a 30-mile radius of your previous housing. A move is considered a long distance move if it is more than 100 miles. Long distance moves are often interstate moves.
How do Local and Long-Distance Movers Calculate Their Charges?
Local movers calculate prices based on the number of hours moves take. Some other factors that can affect moving charges include
- Any special requirements/instructions. For example, if you plan to move bulky or expensive items, the moving company may have to use special equipment to move your items safely.
- Long carry fee. If the mover has to park a long distance away from your location, they may levy an additional fee.
- Stair carry fee. As the name implies, stair carry fee is charged when the move involves moving items down the stairs.
Some factors that Sonoma County long distance movers consider when calculating prices include the number of items, the number of people required, additional insurance coverage, storage requirements, and the size of the truck used for transport. Expect to pay a higher price if you want the mover to move delicate or expensive items that need careful handling.
Another important factor that can affect moving charges is the time of the year. If you plan to move during the busy season, expect to pay more than usual. The day you choose to move can also affect moving charges. Most people prefer to move on a weekend for obvious reasons. As a result, rates usually go up during weekends. If you are on a tight budget, consider moving on a weekday.
Our top Tips for a Smooth Move
- Choose a licensed and insured mover.
- Get rid of the items you no longer use.
- Make sure important documents are stored in a safe place.
- Start packing your stuff as early as possible and pack wisely.
- Transfer utilities and update your address on important documents.
Whether you plan to move interstate or abroad, Schultz Bros Van & Storage has you covered. We are one of the oldest and most trusted moving companies in Sonoma County. With more than 100 years in business, you can rest assured that you’re in expect hands that are capable of helping you have a smooth move. To schedule an estimate, call (707) 546-1616.