Research shows that moving is one of the most stressful life events. To ensure everything goes without a hitch, you need to come up with a plan. Here is a rough countdown timeline to follow.
Two Months Before the Move
This is the right time to make important decisions. Decide whether you want to hire a full-service mover and rent a full-service storage unit near you. If you hire a full-service mover, the provider will do all the packing. Go through your pantries, drawers, and cupboards to get rid of unnecessary things.
Request a leave of absence from work. If you have unused vacation days, now is the time to use them.
One Month Before the Move
If you are relocating for a job, give notice to your current employer. If you have decided to pack yourself, purchase packing supplies and:
- Obtain medical copies of every family member
- Clean out your refrigerator, pantries, and freezers. Decide what you want to use within the next four weeks, what you want to take with you, and what you want to donate to local food pantries
- Notify your utility companies. Update your new address on your provider’s records
- Notify your insurance company of your move. Update your address on their records. Assess your situation. Determine whether you need a different insurance coverage
- If you have pets, get their vaccination records
- If you are planning to have your car transported, now is the right time to contact your preferred service provider
- If your bank does not have a branch in the new location, open an account with a bank in your new location
- Notify your kids’ school of the move. Fill a change of address form and make sure the new address is updated on the school’s records
Two Weeks Before the Move
If you have decided to pack for the move yourself, now is the right time to start the process. Get rid of all unnecessary and restricted items that are not allowed on a moving truck. Typical examples include propane tanks, fertilizers, bleach, pool chemicals, and charcoal.
Pack important documents such as insurance papers, checkbooks, medical records, and your will in a designated box. Keep this box with you during the move.
One Week Before the Move
Pack essential items in a suitcase. Take care of last-minute appointments. Say your goodbyes. Confirm all the details with your moving company and make arrangements for children and pets’ care on the moving day.
The Day of Your Move
Coordinate with your mover. Make sure your items are completely packed before your mover’s team arrives. Inform them about fragile stuff. Make sure every item is loaded on the truck. Check your home one last time, and make sure nothing is left behind.
Looking for a full-service storage near you? Look no further than Schultz Brothers Van & Storage. We have storage solutions to meet every need, situation, and budget. To talk to one of our experts, call us at (707) 546-1616.